Thread: Beach Surf Casting/Fishing and Camping @ Pismo

Beach Surf Casting/Fishing and Camping @ Pismo

Thinking of hitting the beach e.g. Pismo for camping, wheeling on the dunes and also try out my new surf casting setup (11 foot rod and new reel) before my kids start school.

Purchased and used this surf casting setup in Hawaii last to catch some Nenue (Pacific Chub) and other fish; collecting dust - figured make good use of it here in CA.

Questions:

1) Has anyone fished off Pismo shoreline particular surf casting? Kind of setup e.g. hook & sinker, floater...?

2) Best time to go fishing e.g. early morning or at night? Kind of fish do you catch and bait used?

3) Do I need a fishing license? I know in CA lakes and reserv - yes. Not sure @ Pismo Beach.

Will surf the web tonight for answers; thought I'd post this and get some quicker answers.

Also thinking BBQ at the beach, camping, and camp fire - this will be a kid friendly trip if anyone else is interested. Great if we catch fish - pan fry em. But if the fish glows in the dark and toxic. Will do catch and release. So good ideal to bring back-up meat to BBQ.

And of course some wheeling.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by RonCT110; 08-12-2009 at 12:53 PM.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

I know you need a license. I use to fish off the Pier at Pismo years ago. For your other questions I have no idea..

Quote Originally Posted by RoverTech18 View Post
    I know you need a license. I use to fish off the Pier at Pismo years ago. For your other questions I have no idea..
    Thanks Brandon; are you planning to hit Pismo one more time before the end of the year; if you do, are you bringing the new RTT tent (if you purchased it already); like to check it out.
    NCLR BOD www.nclrclub.org

SPOT Adventures: http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=47904

Tread Lightly Trainer

2004 Java Black D2 SE7 "Family AUV" - All-Around Utility Vehicle

1990 CT D110 "Support and Touring Vehicle"

1990 White RRC - Dedicated "Trail Rig"

Hey Ron let me know when you head down here.Also make sure you book your reservations early beach has been sold out every weekend.

Bait sandcrabs or oil grubs i run Carolina rigged 1/4 or 1/2 ounce.Theirs been alot of people fishing lately and catching 1 to 2 pound perch.Doesnt really matter time but high tide seems to be better.
    99 Disco II- Trail rig
    91 Range Rover-Support truck
    (NCLR053)(SCLR903)
    http://www.pacificadventuretours.com

How I fish in Pismo:

Step 1: Park downtown

Step 2: Get credit card from wallet

Step 3: Eat a bucket of crab at the Cracked Crab (get the King Crab legs if feeling 'ritzy')

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit

Oh, and for lunch, nothing like some ribs or a delicious pulled pork sandwhich from Mo's....awesome....
    Nick

Step 4 is Beer me thinks.
    NCLR #70 BOD member

"RovrFlo" '01 D2 108,000 miles
    mods vids 2008 & 2009 trips 2010 trips 2011 trips

1) you really need to do your homework as to what fish are in season what rig set-ups bait etc., up here in Monterey bay, we catch striped bass (yummy) and surf perch
    2) morning/in coming tide
    3) yes

Ron

We usaully Hit pismo up in either Late september or Oct. I will let you know the dates as it gets closer.