Thread: How do I remove clearcoat from an OEM plastic bumper?

How do I remove clearcoat from an OEM plastic bumper?

Hey everyone,

For some reason the rear bumper of my LR3 has been clearcoated by the previous owner. It's odd because it's just the rear bumper portion, but not quarter trim that is also part of the bumper. It was well masked, but obviously not well prepped because it's quickly chipping off and returning back to a normal rear bumper.

I don't care about how it looks while chipping, but if it's not to hard I thought I might try to remove the rest of the clearcoat. I've played with the idea of using some sort of paint thinner, but I'm afraid that it might damage the plastic bumper.

Is there anyone here with experience who can offer some advice?

Best regards,

Dave
    2006 LR3 SE7 Heavy-Duty Pkg & 285/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers
    2003 Discovery II SE w/RTE 2" & 265/75 BFG KM (RIP)

Prep with rubbing alcohol to clean off all waxes and dirt. Then wet sand with 1400-1600 grit sand paper...lots of water. Sand till the residue begins to be the same color as the base coat paint. At that point, be careful and use 2000 grit. Be careful on the edges.

Good luck
    Darrin

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinK View Post
    Prep with rubbing alcohol to clean off all waxes and dirt. Then wet sand with 1400-1600 grit sand paper...lots of water. Sand till the residue begins to be the same color as the base coat paint. At that point, be careful and use 2000 grit. Be careful on the edges.

Good luck
    Darrin
    Good advice, I would like to add that you need good lighting. I don't mean cheap shop lights either. I would use a halogen light and hold it at an angle to the work piece so you can see what you're removing.

X2 on the watching the edges! and the needed water. Be patient and pay attention and it should turn out fine. If you skip steps it will show up later.