Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine knocking noise when cold

Engine knocking noise when cold

Hey everyone,

The engine on my DII makes knocking noises when it's first started up for a few minutes and then goes away as it warms up. It's not like tappet noise from lifters, sounds more like a diesel engine. It revs with the engine and gets louder as the engine is loaded by putting it in gear and driving. Now that I've decided to save my money and not get the ext warranty I'm concerned about this. Is this normal? Any ideas on what it is?

Thanks!
    -Marvin
    2004 Discovery S | Giverny Green/Alpaca Beige

I usually get that too in the cold months. On my D1 and now the RRC. Happens when I park on the street as it leans pretty heavily to the passenger side. I think it just takes awhile for the oil to get heated up and brought up the pick up into the motor. I am sure its *not* good, but as long as it goes away quickly, dont put too much strain on the motor or run hard until the oil is flowing correctly. I would say that it is normal however, seeing as there really is nothing you can do about it, except buy an engine block heater perhaps.
    Nick

Marvin,

My D2 does exactly as you describe. Its a 2000 with 80K.

My 96 D1 with 95K sounds like a brand new car when I start it up in the morning.

Last edited by D2 Amit; 11-12-2007 at 02:54 PM.

Dunno, my D1 does the same, and yours does not Amit. Just chalk it up to each truk being different and having its own personality?
    Nick

It is going to be one of two things. Either a cheep Fram type oil filter which is allowing the pump to do dry starts in the cold mornings, or you may want to consider doing an engine flush, see if you can improve the oil flow.
    Whatever it is, don't just keep starting it cause the more you hear it, the more wear you are causing.
    Mike

Go with Mike suggestion guys, the lack of oil on a cold startup can lead to more problems than you want (good quality filter and oil). If you go with a flush I would recommend an additional oil change 500 to 1000 miles after the flushing procedure, (I know the detergents do not kick in until 1500 to 2000 miles but there will be residual flushing agent left behind after the procedure).
    James

Live life to the fullest, and be done with it!

Just as an additonal note, my 95 D1 and 97 RR both have smoth startups in cold weather.
    James

Live life to the fullest, and be done with it!

Thanks for the responses you all. Engine now has 42k miles. I've already done frequent oil changes (500 mile, 1.5k mile, 2k mile intervals) in an attempt to clean out the engine. The filters have been OE LR filters except for the first one which was a Wix. Been using Castrol GTX 10W-40 but last fill was Mobil1 High Mileage 10W-40. Still have the knocking noise. I'm a bit reluctant to do an engine flush because of the bad press about them all over the internet. Any recommendations?

I did some research online and there's also mention of piston slap and piston rod hitting the oil pan . It's still under warranty so I can take it in, but it's not reproducible after it's been driven.
    2004 Discovery S | Giverny Green/Alpaca Beige

Take it in to the dealer one day late and let them have it overnight so they can hear it when it's cold.
    Gary

NCLR002
    LRRF0016
    NCLR VP Web Admin
    1995 RRC County LWB
    1994 Defender 90 SW

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Call Chris @ LR RWC.. Explain the symptom and tell him that you would
    like to get it in on an evening so they can start it up cold in the morning.
    Most important thing here is to get it documented on official LR papers.
    Very important to get that "Customer States engine knocking noise when
    starting vehicle when cold" on the work order. This will help when your vehicle
    goes out of warranty and will give some lee way..

FYI.. BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!! It hurts but trust me, you will use it up. We are also able to service vehicle no problem with the Land Rover Assured policies.
    Tony - Cerrone's European LRRForums Store

1999 Disco II - aka Black Cobra - Daily Driver
    2006 Range Rover HSE aka Wife's Rig